How can I stop myself from binge eating?

Q. For like the last four or five months my eating habits have been all over the place. I go through periods of time where I will restrict my calories and other times when I just can't stop eating. I know that part (or all) of the reason I binge eat is because of stress, boredom, or because I have been restricting my food to the point where I am so hungry I start eating uncontrollably. The problem is I can't seem to help myself and don't know how to stop binge eating. What can I do?

A. First of all, don't beat yourself up about it. Everyone has a binge every once in a while, but you can do a lot to prevent it.

I'd suggest eating 5 or 6 small meals a day (about 300 calories each). This is eating every few hours so you know you never have to wait long for your next meal. Make them healthy and filling. There's many resources online and in cookbooks for making tasty small meals. Drink water + tea or coffee the majority of the time, not pop or milk. This may feel weird for the first few days, but after a while your stomach will understand and as long as you plan ahead, it is a great diet to maintain. It's how I lost 10 lbs the healthy way.

Also, write down everything you eat (everything!). When you feel like snacking/binging, look at your food journal and think - should I eat anything more right now?

At night time, brush your teeth not long after your last meal (or cup of tea). When your teeth are clean and fresh you won't want to eat. I find this helpful because when I snack badly it tends to be at night. I also try to remember how I will feel the next morning when I step on the scale and think "wow, I wasn't even hungry and now I have to work that much harder to get rid of my boredom eating".

Good luck!

What is your life like after living through a life of binge eating?
Q. Have you successfully stopped binge eating?
What is your story?
How has your life changed now?

Im looking to see the view points of people who have succeeded and moved past a life of binge eating. Why you did it and how you cope with it now.

Thank you for all answers.

A. I was a binge eater for years. I tried to be "skinny" for my boyfriends and seemed to always get the guys that wanted the skinny girl. I realized that I have curves and there ARE men that like them - finally!!!! I did some soul searching, and started to read about health and fitness...and started to eat the RIGHT fat burning foods. I stopped obsessing about my thighs and started to simply LIVE a healthy life. I do all kinds of cardio exercises and added weight training (a bit) to help me burn fat all around the clock - even when I sleep! That's what weight training does. Being a female and doing weights does NOT mean you will get bulky. We simply get toned and lean and strong. I eat junk food - for fun - only once in a while...but the MAJORITY of the time...I eat the best and healthiest fat burning foods to help me along with staying in shape and yes...I still have curves, but they're strong now! Binge eating is usually caused by unhappiness...and finding out and dealing with what you're unhappy about is what you need to do FIRST. Make some changes...get happy and you probably won't binge eat. Don't let other people control your happiness. I married a man that prefers a very thin model-like figure...but after getting strong, fit and healthy and showing that I love myself...with more confidence...he sees a healthy attractive woman! I eat for me now...and that means whatever amount I feel is best for me as well. It took YEARS to get over this binge type of eating...but I found that with regular exercise and eating well...and ACCEPTING my physical shape...I am happier and don't want to binge eat any more. It starts from within. My life has changed dramatically and for the better. But I had to do the work myself. No one else could do it for me. If it were that easy, no one would be binge eating. Finding out WHY you're unhappy is the first step...and take it from there. Never give up on yourself. You CAN do it! I did...and I was the woman eating in the closet...believe me! I ended up doing three figure competitions. It IS possible! Just DO IT!..I have had 5 children by c-sections, and now I walk with my teenagers and people think I'm one of them (from far of course)! If I can stop binge eating...anyone can!

How to control binge eating and start losing weight?
Q. I seem to think that food is like my friend or something. This is a real problem. I am 134 and yesterday I was 132,, and the week before 126.. This bing eating problem is getting out of control. I am 5'3", Female, what weight should I be for a flat stomach?also how can I stop binge eating and lose weight?

A. Not to weigh yourself on a daily basis
your weight changes for any reason form one day to the next
if you have to get on a scale do it once a week...
same day of the week and same time of the day

eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks
or since you do binge
eat 6 small meals thoughout the day like every 2 to 3 hours
that is so you don't get hungry in between meals and possibly won't binge
no junk food, cut out sugar, eat healthy...
drinks lots of water
find some type of exercise you like to do
and do it at least 5 days of the week

who knows how much you should weigh for a flat stomach
someone might know...however I don't

btw--your weight is normal for your height




Powered by Yahoo! Answers