Where can I learn if I have binge eating disorder and how can I stop binge eating?

Q. I've been struggling with food for longer than I care to admit. I have researched online, but not 100% sure if I do have binge eating disorder, or if I do, how to stop binge eating. Any ideas or resources would be good so I can learn more. thanks.

A. As far as knowing if you have binge eating disorder, see if any of these sound like you...

1. Are you tired of hiding food wrappers at the bottom of the garbage in hope that no one will see the �evidence�?

2. Are you ready to put on a smile for the world and keep it on instead of crawling back into your �sad world� when you are alone?

3. Are you ready to end your private nightmare filled with sadness and start a new life filled with excitement and happiness?

4. Do you constantly feel like something is wrong with you and use food to ease the pain?

As far as learning more, I have provided two resources on binge eating disorder. One is a site about a girl who suffered with binge eating disorder for many years, and the other is a binge eating video on YouTube from the same girl.

If you do have binge eating disorder and you're looking for help, you are doing the right thing here by reaching out for help.


How can I stop myself from binge eating?
Q. For like the last four or five months my eating habits have been all over the place. I go through periods of time where I will restrict my calories and other times when I just can't stop eating. I know that part (or all) of the reason I binge eat is because of stress, boredom, or because I have been restricting my food to the point where I am so hungry I start eating uncontrollably. The problem is I can't seem to help myself and don't know how to stop binge eating. What can I do?

A. First of all, don't beat yourself up about it. Everyone has a binge every once in a while, but you can do a lot to prevent it.

I'd suggest eating 5 or 6 small meals a day (about 300 calories each). This is eating every few hours so you know you never have to wait long for your next meal. Make them healthy and filling. There's many resources online and in cookbooks for making tasty small meals. Drink water + tea or coffee the majority of the time, not pop or milk. This may feel weird for the first few days, but after a while your stomach will understand and as long as you plan ahead, it is a great diet to maintain. It's how I lost 10 lbs the healthy way.

Also, write down everything you eat (everything!). When you feel like snacking/binging, look at your food journal and think - should I eat anything more right now?

At night time, brush your teeth not long after your last meal (or cup of tea). When your teeth are clean and fresh you won't want to eat. I find this helpful because when I snack badly it tends to be at night. I also try to remember how I will feel the next morning when I step on the scale and think "wow, I wasn't even hungry and now I have to work that much harder to get rid of my boredom eating".

Good luck!


How can I stop binge eating at night?
Q. I'm trying to cut back a lot on what I eat because I really need to lose a few pounds.

A lot of times I binge eat at night. Like tonight I ate a bunch of mini doughnuts, a fudge pop, ice cream, and pretty much everything I could get my hands on. I find it really hard to stop myself from eating a lot at night because I get hungry and I don't make good choices. Plus, I eat because I'm bored.

How can I stop binge eating at night?

A. When i tried to lose weight and end my addiction to restaurants, I made a bet with my boyfriend that I could go without them for two months. He did not believe me and said he would give me a certain amount of money if I actually succeeded. The fact that he didn't believe I could do it and the monetary incentive gave me the boost I need to do it.

Try to make a similar bet with your husband, mom, roommate, whoever you live with. It doesn't have to be money, but it should be something that you really want.

Also take Tylenol PM before you feel like binging. It will knock you out and you won't be dependent on it.


what are easy ways to eat healthier and stop binge eating?
Q. i eat a lot of bread, chips, candy, and cheese, what are some healthier things? how should i eat to lose weight? what are some easy yummy recipes? also how can i stop binge eating?

A. There is no easy way for some, as it takes determination to avoid those things. Most will lack the self discipline to not buy them when out, and not have them in the house.

Have healthy snacks by you chair and if you keep yourself busy you will not be bothered to get up for more.
There is no need to avoid some of those things you like, but ration them. An example would be with potato chips and instead of getting the 50g bag or whatever size get the bigger bag that has 10-12 smaller packets in and take just one packet to snack on.
Have something like a small bowl with a dozen or more grapes and when you finish the small bag of chips have the grapes or nuts to clean the taste of chips from your mouth.
Chetak





Powered by Yahoo! Answers