What is the link between atheletes/models/etc and binge-eating disorders?

Q. I read somewhere that atheletes and models- or any other professionals whose bodies are on "public display on a frequent basis"- notably struggle with binge-eating disorders where they rapidly and excessively consume foods at certain periods of time, usually due to depression, anxiety, boredom, etc.

It seems sort of odd to me that this is the case, considering atheletes and models are usually very slender.

What do you guys think are some of the links?

A. You are asking about two very different groups of people.

When it comes to elite level athletes, yes, there are certain sports where eating disorders are a big problem. It has less to do with "bodies on display" than with "if I lose 5 kg I'll shave 5 seconds off my time" or similar. You can, for example, look into ski jumping, where a minimum BMI has been set due to jumpers losing as much weight as they can - to unhealthy low lovels - to be able to fly further on their jumps.

Models are on public display, but they also have to maintain a certain body type as their role is a living hanger for the clothes. Unlike with (most) athletes, models can and do use illicit drugs to keep their weight down.

Now there will be binging and purging in both groups, but I do not know to what extent it exists.

How can I stop myself from binge eating?
Q. For like the last four or five months my eating habits have been all over the place. I go through periods of time where I will restrict my calories and other times when I just can't stop eating. I know that part (or all) of the reason I binge eat is because of stress, boredom, or because I have been restricting my food to the point where I am so hungry I start eating uncontrollably. The problem is I can't seem to help myself and don't know how to stop binge eating. What can I do?

A. First of all, don't beat yourself up about it. Everyone has a binge every once in a while, but you can do a lot to prevent it.

I'd suggest eating 5 or 6 small meals a day (about 300 calories each). This is eating every few hours so you know you never have to wait long for your next meal. Make them healthy and filling. There's many resources online and in cookbooks for making tasty small meals. Drink water + tea or coffee the majority of the time, not pop or milk. This may feel weird for the first few days, but after a while your stomach will understand and as long as you plan ahead, it is a great diet to maintain. It's how I lost 10 lbs the healthy way.

Also, write down everything you eat (everything!). When you feel like snacking/binging, look at your food journal and think - should I eat anything more right now?

At night time, brush your teeth not long after your last meal (or cup of tea). When your teeth are clean and fresh you won't want to eat. I find this helpful because when I snack badly it tends to be at night. I also try to remember how I will feel the next morning when I step on the scale and think "wow, I wasn't even hungry and now I have to work that much harder to get rid of my boredom eating".

Good luck!

How is overeating different from binge eating?
Q. I am doing a project, and some of the subtitles include overeating and binge eating. I did binge eating already, but when i try to research overeating, it brings up the same information.

A. over eating is eating bigger portions all the time as to where binge eating you consume a lot of calories in a short period of time and is not a every meal , everyday thing. where those of us that over eat just alway eat to big of portions




Powered by Yahoo! Answers