What are the signs and symptoms of binge eating?

Q. For most of my life, I have been chubby or fat. I had a baby almost four months ago, and now, everytime I eat, I feel guilty, but it makes me want to eat more! It's really all that makes me happy anymore. That and compulsive shopping. I just want to know what the signs and symptoms are for binge eating.

A. Binge eating is eating little-normal amounts of food and then out of the blue consuming portions that are in great excess (i.e. eating normally all day and then eating 6 candy bars later, etc...) If you consistently eat in excess than that is something different.

I also suffer from binge eating. I say suffer but really it is my own doing. I too feel like it is one of the only things that makes me happy. Usually I am not a compulsive shopper but this week I have been.

I just really came to the realization that I needed help. I hope you are able to come to grips with the reason for your binging and deal with it appropriately. Good luck!


What is your life like after living through a life of binge eating?
Q. Have you successfully stopped binge eating?
What is your story?
How has your life changed now?

Im looking to see the view points of people who have succeeded and moved past a life of binge eating. Why you did it and how you cope with it now.

Thank you for all answers.

A. I was a binge eater for years. I tried to be "skinny" for my boyfriends and seemed to always get the guys that wanted the skinny girl. I realized that I have curves and there ARE men that like them - finally!!!! I did some soul searching, and started to read about health and fitness...and started to eat the RIGHT fat burning foods. I stopped obsessing about my thighs and started to simply LIVE a healthy life. I do all kinds of cardio exercises and added weight training (a bit) to help me burn fat all around the clock - even when I sleep! That's what weight training does. Being a female and doing weights does NOT mean you will get bulky. We simply get toned and lean and strong. I eat junk food - for fun - only once in a while...but the MAJORITY of the time...I eat the best and healthiest fat burning foods to help me along with staying in shape and yes...I still have curves, but they're strong now! Binge eating is usually caused by unhappiness...and finding out and dealing with what you're unhappy about is what you need to do FIRST. Make some changes...get happy and you probably won't binge eat. Don't let other people control your happiness. I married a man that prefers a very thin model-like figure...but after getting strong, fit and healthy and showing that I love myself...with more confidence...he sees a healthy attractive woman! I eat for me now...and that means whatever amount I feel is best for me as well. It took YEARS to get over this binge type of eating...but I found that with regular exercise and eating well...and ACCEPTING my physical shape...I am happier and don't want to binge eat any more. It starts from within. My life has changed dramatically and for the better. But I had to do the work myself. No one else could do it for me. If it were that easy, no one would be binge eating. Finding out WHY you're unhappy is the first step...and take it from there. Never give up on yourself. You CAN do it! I did...and I was the woman eating in the closet...believe me! I ended up doing three figure competitions. It IS possible! Just DO IT!..I have had 5 children by c-sections, and now I walk with my teenagers and people think I'm one of them (from far of course)! If I can stop binge eating...anyone can!


How would someone develop a binge eating disorder or become a compulsive overeater?
Q. If one was to try, albeit it will take time, how would they develop themselves a binge eating disorder? What would they have to do to actually start it up?

How would one become a compulsive overeater?

Other than stress and such, what would need to be done?

A. Hey there, I'm afraid its very easy to develop binge eating disorder. It even takes one binge to set it off. Once someone had a few binges its easy to let the guilt get you into the cycle. You're right to say that binge eating is an emotional disorder- people are more likely to binge eat when they're feeling low than when they're feeling happy. I think low self esteem definitely contributes and is what can keep you into the habit of doing it. If you believe in yourself enough to want to get out of the cycle, you can do it. I myself struggled with binge eating and it got really out of hand, but with support and learning not to beat yourself up and love yourself you can get out of it. Binge eating starts mainly because of emotional reasons. Anyone can become a compulsive overeater unless they really dont care much for food or have never used food to deal with problems. Binge eating disorders are too easy to start up as one binge leads to another and another until you find yourself overeating all the time. Compulsive overreating is when eating becomes out of hand and you eat vast quantities of food in a short time and eat even when very full. I've been there and binge eating is horrible. If you suffer from this get support and see a counsellor. Hope I helped answer your question :)


How could someone develop a binge eating disorder?
Q. If one were wanting to develop a binge eating disorder, how would they do it. What would they have to do to develop it?

A. A binge eating disorder does not appear all of a sudden. Instead, it build up over time. Firstly, you might have experienced some traumatic event or just feeling really stressed out lately. When you are stressed out, you eat more. Eating releases "feel good" hormones into your brain and provides a distraction against the outside world because you're too busy concentrating on how good the food tastes to be able to think about anything else. You eat far beyond the point of actual physical hunger. Your stomach may feel completely bloated, yet it's like your body is on automatic and you just can't stop eating. Some people have even passed out from it. Then, when you finally stop, you start feeling horribly guilty. You try to purge the excess calories by overexercising, laxatives or vomiting. Problem solved! Only... it isn't. Eating may have temporarily distracted you, but it does nothing to solve the actual problem. The root of the problem is still there and so you binge again. And you purge. And you binge. And you purge. It's a vicious cycle.. It does not matter what the food you are eating (I used to binge on carrot sticks), only the desire to escape and the guilt that follows afterwards. Not all people purge. Some just compulsively overeat. It's like a drug, a habit, an addiction and one which is extremely hard to break. Do not do it. Please. It may seem like a good escape route at the time, but at the end of the day, it will destroy you.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers