My parents think that they are helping me by hide food from me?

Q. I have been bulimic for a few years and consequently engage in periods of binge eating followed by purging.

My parents have noticed that i binge eat and recently, my psych told them about my eating disorder.

Now they are beginning to hide food from me with the purpose of preventing me from binge eating.
This is making me extremely anxious because to me, it feels like they;re saying, "you don't need food, you're too fat"

Do you think that hiding food from me is the wrong thing for them to do?

A. well, the fact that they make you feel bad means that their method is not working properly. There are better ways to help you. Perhaps storing healthier foods like fruits and healthy carbs instead of junk food would work, i mean, if you binge on fruits and fiber you'll look prettier and stay healthier even. And to add to that, you, as a family can do something athletic so that instead of watching your diet meticulously you can burn calories.

How to start of my eating disorder project?
Q. Hey guys,

I am doing a project on eating disorders and so far for my introduction I have got...

Anorexia and Bulimia, two physical and mental eating disorders that kill thousands of each year.

And now I am stuck, once I get past the introduction I will be okay, but could you lot give me some help/advice on how to complete the introduction?

A. Ok.. here are some things to think about for your project.

From a clinical point of view, eating disorders are about strategy. If you are going in the direction of how eating disorders work, allude to the fact you will be investigating the strategy employed by the person with the ED. How do they do what they do?

From my clinical experience as a therapist dealing with EDs, note where the emotions take place in the strategy. Example:

With Anorexia
Person enters negative state -> feels guilt (important bit)-> refuses food -> exits negative state

With Bulimia
Person enters negative state -> binges -> feels guilt (important bit) -> purges or over exercises -> exits negative state

The person with Anorexia feels the guilt of eating before taking a bite - so they refuse the food.
The person with Bulimia feels the guilt after eating - so they purge it or burn it off.

Also look at the underlying problems with the eating disorders. Anorexia tends to be "tribal" in that the underlying problem is very often with someone in the family (pay particular attention to the relationship between the parents and the subject) or a very close friend causing the problem.

With Bulimia, it tends to be something more varied and external, often unconnected with the family unit.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Stephen

How can i get help on having an eating disorder?
Q. i want to stop being bulimic before it gets worse, i started awhile ago but then managed to stop but things didn't stay and i started again but i don't binge eat and mainly just purge after tea- i keep purging after tea until acid stuff just comes out.

but i don't want to tell friends as none of them are that close to me anymore and my parents wouldn't understand and i don't want professional help i just want someone to help me out abit.

A. Bulimia is very difficult to recover from without professional help. Depending on your age, you might be able to get help from professionals without informing your parents. If you're underage and want professional help, you would most likely have to tell your parents.
You might also want to consider talking to a counselor, social worker or psychologist at your school.
Another idea is to find a support group for those who are going through eating disorders. These groups can be extremely helpful, and will allow you to talk with others who are in similar situations.
If you're hesitant to talk to a psychologist, you could ask your doctor for a recommendation to a nutritionist, who would be able to help you to normalize your eating patterns, and give you suggestions for foods to help you, and plans and strategies that will help you in recovery.
I also have an eating disorder and I understand how hard it is to recovery. I would really recommend talking to a doctor, psychologist and dietician to help you in your recovery. Also, in my personal experience, my parents have been much more understanding and helpful than I had ever expected them to be.
I hope that this advice has helped and given you some ideas, and if you have any more questions or want more advice, my email is laurelle117@yahoo.com
I also recommend the website Something Fishy (http://www.something-fishy.org/)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers