How to deal with binge eating disorder BY YOURSELF?

Q. I'm positive I have binge eating disorder. It started 3 and a half years ago, lightly at first but 2 years ago it got worse. I tried to talk to my mother that all this is not normal but she thinks I'm overreacting and that it's all in my head. I don't really know what caused my BED but I want to deal with it and for now professional help is not an option so what can I do to overcome it?

P.S. I'm 21.

A. Please, please go into the hospital and get help for your BED. I'm 22 and just went through the smae thing. I did Inpatient for a week and then OP (outpatient) for 5 more before discharge. It has been overwhelming, sad, hard, difficult, and also life changing, beautiful, and wonderful. You will meet people who you will stay friends with for life. Don't be scared- if you are, that's ok too, only natural. I was TERRIFIED my first day when I went in, and by the end, I loved all of the girls (and guys) I had met and was sad to leave them, but on we must go into the world and away from the eating disorde.

We did 8:15 weigh in, breakfast till 9. then process group (talking about feelings and current day to day situations) until 10:30. then a snack. then spirituality or nutrition or something like that until 11:45. then lunch. then expressive therapy until 2. then we would break apart into various groups like restricting, binge eating, etc whatever you're dealing with. then another snack... and then home. in patient is the same kind of stuff just longer hours and more rules. even in outpatient though, you have to show your tray and show that you're not hiding anything. no exercising- everyone is on exercise restriction. no napkins or pockets where you can hide food. bathroom breaks are monitered. we also have to do challenge foods once a week that we would normally restrict, or binge and purge on. also meetings with dieticians, psychiatrists, and case managers and so forth. It's hard but it is SO worth it. It can't be any harder than staying in your ED, and the result of getting better is the more positive choice.

Best of luck- get well and be brave.


<3

How can I stop wanting to eat all the time?
Q. I constantly feel the urge to eat. Especially when i'm in a place with lots of food, its so much worse. It's like a compulsive urge, and I dont know how to overcome it. I'm bulimic, so once I end up binge eating I force myself to throw up, and then starve myself for a while.

If I could control my cravings I wouldnt make myself sick or go through these cycles, please does anybody know how I can stop or overcome this ravenous hunger/urge to eat everything?

A. Sweetie, your hunger has nothing to do with food. It has to do with emotions and self-worth, and needing acceptance. The food is just a substitute for what's missing in your life. When you gorge you're trying to fill up emptiness. Then when you feel the emptiness still there and how you've treated your body, you throw up the food. It's a vicious cycle that won't stop unless you get some professional help.

Please see a counselor about your eating habits. Sooner or later your body will rebel against the abuse you're inflicting, which can include having your hair fall out, and automatically throwing up even if you don't want to. You're in my prayers. Overcoming bulimia is a challenge, but it can be done with the help of a compassionate therapist.

How can I lose 5 stone whilst battling an eating disorder?
Q. I have suffered with a binge eating disorder for several years and am now really struggling to lose any weight at all. I want to lose 5 stone in total but do not have a time limit. I can't stick to any diets cos of my eating disorder and my weight is stopping me exercising as I get so out of breath and in pain very quickly. HELP!!!!!!!

A. Getting help and beginning to recover from your binge eating disorder will be the largest factor in whether or not you will be able to lose weight. Generally, as a person overcomes his or her binge eating disorder, it becomes easier and easier to lose weight, but first you should focus on overcoming your eating disorder so that then you can lose weight more easily.
Overcoming an eating disorder is a very difficult process, and it will help you a lot to understand and deal with your eating disorder if you have professional help. Go to your doctor and explain about your eating disorder, then ask for recommendations to a psychologist and nutritionist specializing in eating disorders. You may also want to look in your area to see if there are any eating disorder support groups.
With your nutritionist, try to make a structured meal plan that will keep you full and prevent binging. Try to eat regularly, and measure out portion sizes, knowing beforehand how much of a food you want to have before you begin to eat it. Stick to foods that are lower in calories, such as fruits, vegetables, light breads, lowfat dairy and lowfat meat products. Avoid products high in fat or products that are very sugary, as these are usually higher in calories. Make sure that you stay hydrated, and make an effort to exercise regularly.
When you think that you may be about to binge, try to do something to distract yourself. Take a walk, listen to music, read a book, call a friend, take a nap, play a distracting game like tetris or minesweeper, do a crossword puzzle or sudoku - anything to keep your mind off food. Set healthy goals for yourself - you can't expect yourself to suddenly stop binging, but you can make goals to binge less often, or make more of an effort to prevent your binges. Reach out for the help and support of your friends and family, and the help of professionals who will be able to guide you through recovery and help you to obtain your weight loss goals.
Keep in mind that 5 stone is a lot to lose, and you should make sure it's healthy and possible for you to accomplish. Be patient, and don't expect instant weight loss. You will be best able to focus on and accomplish weight loss when you have recovered from your eating disorder, so focus on recovery as a first step toward losing weight. Remember that weight loss doesn't happen instantly - 1/2 to 1 pound of weight loss per week is a healthy goal.
I hope this has helped, and good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers