How can I stop myself from binge eating ?

Q. I am 5'3 114 lbs., I diet and exercise. I think the only thing stopping me from losing weight is binge eating. I binge eat when I'm nervous. I also suffer from depression, this also causes me to binge eat. PLEASE HELP. I want to lose weight but i can if I binge eat.

A. Are you the type of person who learns from books, because there are several out on emotional eating. I have the same problem.

Two things that really helped me were something I learned from the people at Overeaters Anonymous (otherwise useless for me, but this was important). It's called HALT.

Never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

Second, I learned to manage what I did eat. For some reason, when I craved sugar and crunch snacks, eating protein, especially beef jerky, satisfied something and I felt better and was able to stop the binge.

Why is it that when people think eating disorder, they mostly think anorexia or bulimia?
Q. I see a lot people address anorexia and bulimia but they don't take binge eating disorder as seriously. In my eyes it is all the same (and I've suffered from all three of these). It has more to do with a dissatisfaction with oneself and an abuse of your body and/or food to remedy this feeling. So why are some eating disorder given more attention than others?
jakesmom: I think binge eating disorder effects a lot of people. If this weren't the case, than the US wouldn't be suffering an obesity epidemic.

A. i totally see what youre saying because i often wonder the same thing. in MY opinion, i think its because exactly what you said; obesity is so prevelent and seen so much of that people jusat think, "oh theyre fat." i personally have been struggling from anorexia and bulimia for the past 6 years (im 19 now) and its been hell. as a matter of fact, last year when i was admitted to an ED hospital, they only had 20 paitents at a time and out of all of us, there was one older man (early 40's) with binge eating disorder. If you see a heavy person walking down the street, most people unfortunately just think "fatass." whereas if you see someone walking down the street whos skin and bones, youre reaction is a little more sympathetic. some ppl dont give a sh*t either way because they think oh they put themselves through that. I wouldnt wish an ED on my worst enemy because its a lose lose situation. I relapsed 2 days after i was discharged...two days! thats a disgrace. another prblem i had was not telling my psychologist anything i was doing. so in turn, there was nothing he could do either. i showed up, put on a happy face, and left... i apoligize for babbling but that is how i feel about the whole eating disorder issue.

can binge eating until you feel sick increase your heart rate?
Q. i've been suffering from a bad pattern of binge eating that is most likely binge eating disorder or compulsive over eating disorder at this point. recently ive notice that whenever i binge my heart thuds when it beats, my heart rate increases, and i feel heavy limbed, sluggish and sometimes get a head ache. I am not overweight and am actually in very good shape and health except for this eating disorder. Are these typical short term responses to overeating? why are they happening?

A. Of course your heart rate increases...it's struggling to make the rest of your body work. You feel sluggish because your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs. If this continues, there will be a time when your body shuts down completely.

Get help for binging. YOu cannot continue to do this. You will only mess up your body, make yourself sick and possibly die from it.

If you were in good health, you wouldn't have an eating disorder, so please don't lie to yourself.

Please see a therapist and get treatment immediately. This isn't something you can stop on your own.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers