How can I lose 5 stone whilst battling an eating disorder?

Q. I have suffered with a binge eating disorder for several years and am now really struggling to lose any weight at all. I want to lose 5 stone in total but do not have a time limit. I can't stick to any diets cos of my eating disorder and my weight is stopping me exercising as I get so out of breath and in pain very quickly. HELP!!!!!!!

A. Getting help and beginning to recover from your binge eating disorder will be the largest factor in whether or not you will be able to lose weight. Generally, as a person overcomes his or her binge eating disorder, it becomes easier and easier to lose weight, but first you should focus on overcoming your eating disorder so that then you can lose weight more easily.
Overcoming an eating disorder is a very difficult process, and it will help you a lot to understand and deal with your eating disorder if you have professional help. Go to your doctor and explain about your eating disorder, then ask for recommendations to a psychologist and nutritionist specializing in eating disorders. You may also want to look in your area to see if there are any eating disorder support groups.
With your nutritionist, try to make a structured meal plan that will keep you full and prevent binging. Try to eat regularly, and measure out portion sizes, knowing beforehand how much of a food you want to have before you begin to eat it. Stick to foods that are lower in calories, such as fruits, vegetables, light breads, lowfat dairy and lowfat meat products. Avoid products high in fat or products that are very sugary, as these are usually higher in calories. Make sure that you stay hydrated, and make an effort to exercise regularly.
When you think that you may be about to binge, try to do something to distract yourself. Take a walk, listen to music, read a book, call a friend, take a nap, play a distracting game like tetris or minesweeper, do a crossword puzzle or sudoku - anything to keep your mind off food. Set healthy goals for yourself - you can't expect yourself to suddenly stop binging, but you can make goals to binge less often, or make more of an effort to prevent your binges. Reach out for the help and support of your friends and family, and the help of professionals who will be able to guide you through recovery and help you to obtain your weight loss goals.
Keep in mind that 5 stone is a lot to lose, and you should make sure it's healthy and possible for you to accomplish. Be patient, and don't expect instant weight loss. You will be best able to focus on and accomplish weight loss when you have recovered from your eating disorder, so focus on recovery as a first step toward losing weight. Remember that weight loss doesn't happen instantly - 1/2 to 1 pound of weight loss per week is a healthy goal.
I hope this has helped, and good luck!

Question for fit people who ocasionally binge eat?
Q. How do you recover from an eating binge to get back to where you were? In terms of not feeling crappy and the weight/fat/water weight etc gained. What do you do exactly?

A. Usually when I binge it its because I am not in my normal situation, for instance, it is mostly when i go home for a week or so because i am out of my normal routine (im in college) and and the food is go good and to be get to where i am as soon as i get back to school or my normal daily routine i go back to healthy foods, portions... amp up on the cardio to burn off the excess and in a day or so i feel better and start getting back to where i was...

How many calories should I eat a day if...?
Q. I am 5'7" and I weigh 120lbs. I have a BMI of 18.8 I want to maintain my current weight. I workout a few times a week and burn about 600 extra cals per WEEK exercising. I am trying to recover from anorexia nervosa and binge eating disorder and I am curious to know how much I should be eating.

So how many calories should I have a day to maintain my current weight and size?

A. For a person that is slightly active and that weight you would need about 1500 calories to maintain your weight




Powered by Yahoo! Answers