Can you be underweight or a healthy weight and have binge eating disorder?

Q. Just wondering. I'm healthy weight verging on a bit underweight and struggle with binge eating. People tend to associate it with obesity and being overweight though.

A. Hello! Binge eating is what usually causes obisity. When people binge eat its usually a sign of depression. Eating makes you feel better and takes your mind off things and can relieve boredom. Try and take notice to how you are feeling when you eat this way and get to the core of the problem. Some people eat and eat and don't gain weight however I don't think that is the focus of this situation. When you feel like sitting around eating call a friend take a walk draw a picture etc. stimulate your mind not your stomach. I hope Ive helped:)

How can I stop myself from binge eating ?
Q. I am 5'3 114 lbs., I diet and exercise. I think the only thing stopping me from losing weight is binge eating. I binge eat when I'm nervous. I also suffer from depression, this also causes me to binge eat. PLEASE HELP. I want to lose weight but i can if I binge eat.

A. Are you the type of person who learns from books, because there are several out on emotional eating. I have the same problem.

Two things that really helped me were something I learned from the people at Overeaters Anonymous (otherwise useless for me, but this was important). It's called HALT.

Never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

Second, I learned to manage what I did eat. For some reason, when I craved sugar and crunch snacks, eating protein, especially beef jerky, satisfied something and I felt better and was able to stop the binge.

Will antidepressants help with my terrible over eating habits when stressed/sad and help me lose weight?
Q. Has anyone experienced being depressed and binge eating then fixing the depression and losing weight? I have been eating so much lately because I am depressed from being out of work. I gained 15 lbs. If my doctor gives me antidepressants, will this help with my over eating? I want to stop this terrible habit of stress/anxiety/depressed eating. Please tell me your experiences and what works and what doesn't work.

A. Anti-depressants are serious drugs, not to be messed around with. Try proper dieting, exercise and self control. You don't understand the horrible side effects and withdrawal effects from anti-depressants.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers