Is it possible for someone to develop a binge eating disorder on purpose?

Q. Could someone purposefully develop a binge eating disorder just because they wanted to and thus get fat?

A. Yes.

How have any of you overcome binge eating disorder?
Q. I am 15 years old and I have binge eating disorder along with various other medical issues. My psychiatrist has acknowledged it but said he wasn't going to label me with it. My mom is impossible. She says we will have to agree to disagree and my dad believes me but doesn't do anything about it either. I feel very alone with this. I ask my family not to bring in junk food and to not let me have any either and to hide the junk food that they bring in the house (even though I always find it). My mom is the most unsupportive of them all. She tells me that I don't have BED and asks me why I always find the junk food. She tells me that I just need to work on it myself. I keep telling her thats not how it works but she wont listen. She hasen't even bothered to read one thing on this. I have been bingeing since I was 9 or ten and I didn't really become aware that it was a problem until I was 14. I am feeling so alone and I keep getting heavier and heavier. I don't know what to do and I desperately need suggestions. Has anyone else been through this and if so what have you done to overcome it? Treatment for this is not out of the question but it may take a while to convince my psychiatrist and family to let me go to it. My psychiatrist told me he wants me to try weight watchers first, but I don't think that will work, but I told him i'd try it anyway.

A. I have an eating disorder, and I tend to either over-eat or under-eat. My binge cycles usually last a long time, but less time than my starvation. I have tried countless times to try and get healthy on my own but I can not; the small part of me that wants to be healthy is overwhelmed by the rest of me, that tells me I don't deserve anything unless I am perfect. If you seriously think you have an eating disorder, please get help. The only time I have ever been able to control mine was when I was seeing a therapist who helped me through it, but because I was forced to stop seeing him I relapsed and part of me has given up on ever being 'healthy'. If I am binge eating and try to return to a healthy diet, I end up starving myself, and vice versa. Seek help, do anything you can to get your mother to understand, and tell your father that he need to help you. My mother encouraged my eating disorder and my father wasn't around to help me; your lucky to have them, make sure they know that you need their help.

Do i have to tell my parent/doctor about my binge eating disorder?
Q. I'm pretty sure that I have binge eating disorder (I asked a previous question u can go check it out) and I was wondering if I have to tell someone. This leads me to my second question, Can I fight this disorder on my own and how. Thank you. And the second question is more important. And I already know I have this disease.

A. Okay, for a start, you donât already know anything. The only people who are properly qualified to diagnose any of these incredibly complex disorders have spent many years at university, and in some cases they still find it difficult to make an exact diagnosis. Even the fact that you think you know indicates how little you REALLY know.

Secondly, no you donât have to tell anyone anything â feel free to suffer in silence (of course choosing to do so could potentially lead to permanent infertility, organ failure, death, and a generally un-pleasant and stressful life).

Thirdly, you would be absolutely foolish not to seek professional help. Anyone on this sight who tries to offer you advice on this website is obviously not a professional, and is as dangerous to you as you are to yourself â do not consider them helpful, because in the long run, I promise you they are not.

I hope you donât consider this reply rude. I have absolute sympathy for your situation and any suffering that you might be going through, but you NEED to start making the right decisions (and stop trying to find alternatives, or looking for reasons why you donât need to make the right decisions).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers